Friday, February 6, 2009

Lent

Recently I have been putting a lot of thought into the upcoming Lent period, trying to determine what exactly I'm going to give up. This will be my 9th Lent at a Catholic and I have never given anything up before - even though I should have. The whole purpose of giving something up for Lent (for those of you Non-Catholics out there) is to be prayerful and reflect on the 40 days that Jesus was in the dessert and endured temptation by Satan. After much thought and reflection, I have decided to give up something that is a deep-rooted addiction of mine....


Yes, you are hearing me correctly...I am giving up Diet Coke (and all other soda) for Lent. We are talking 8 weeks here....8 weeks with no Diet Coke. I am so addicted to Diet Coke that I have to have first thing in the morning or else I can't function! I want to be healthier...and I thought that this would be a very good start in working towards a healthier lifestyle. The last time I quit drinking soda, I lost 20 pounds! Wish me luck, and I will most definitely let everyone know how it goes! I've still got until February 25th, though - and I will soak up every single last drop of Diet Coke I can until then! :)

4 comments:

Kristin said...

Good for you! I used to drink Dr. Pepper ALL the time, but I gave it up for Lent one year and now I don't drink any sodas. About once a month I'll have a Coke or Dr. P as a "treat". Not drinking sodas made my teeth whiter too!! ...Now, if only I could stop drinking my beloved coffee...

Nic said...

Good Luck!! Not sure I coul give up my diet coke!!!

{lori beth} said...

Wow...I'm so proud of you. I'll try not to drink a diet coke in your presence so I won't tempt you!! HAHAHA. Good luck...and stay away from me the first week or so because I know you're going to be grumpy!!!

Dallas Family said...

Good for you! If your are going to give something up...it might as well be big. Good luck!