Sunday, March 15, 2009

Everyday Life

I've been at a loss for posts lately. My kids haven't done anything extraordinary and I don't have any exciting news to share. I've had some "quiet" time today - which in my house means, the boys have taken a break from trying to kill each other and decided to watch a movie. In my house, these moments only last a couple of minutes and I cherish every single minute that I get. In my quiet time I realized something: while my life may not be overly exciting, I love every minute of it. Sure, there are days where the boys drive me absolutely crazy. But there are also days where we have so much fun. Average. Normal. Those are two words that I would use to describe my life. The thing that I love most about my life are the amazing people who are a part of it.

My husband, John. We have been together since December 6, 1996. I remember the first time I met him. Nick brought him by my house one day and I remember thinking how cute he was. Unfortunately, I had another boyfriend at the time. When that boyfriend and I broke up, John was in a relationship with someone else. Finally, it all worked out to where we were both single and both interested in each other. Our first date was to Taco Bell and to Wal-Mart - and it was absolutely perfect. We spent the whole evening talking and getting to know each other better. I still remember what I was wearing. I was 15 and he was almost 17. We dated for 5 1/2 years before we finally got married on June 15, 2002. We have the 2 most awesome kids in the world. I would say that our marriage has been all roses - but it hasn't. We've had our ups and downs and struggles over the years. But, we have learned and grown because of the things that we have been through and our marriage is better because of it all. He makes me smile. He makes me laugh. He picks me up when I'm down. He lets me vent when I've had a crappy day. He lets me cry on his shoulder when I need to. He gets up in the middle of the night if I think I heard something in the house. I know that I can be a real pain in the ass some days - and in spite of my flaws, he loves me anyway. I'd be so lost without him.










My parents and my sister. They, obviously, are a huge part of my life. They have always been there and supported me no matter what. I am very lucky to have such an awesome family. I hear and see all these other families around me who don't get along, who don't help each other, who bicker amongst each other. I'm not saying that I get along with my mom all the time. God knows that she and I have had our differences in the past. And the same thing with Dad. But now that I'm older, I can appreciate all the things that they did for me (and still do for me). Especially now that I have children of my own. I understand things so much better now.










My best friend, Lori. There are so many things that I could say about her. She and I have been best friends since I was in 11th grade and she was a senior. For those of you that are sitting there trying to do the math, that's 11 years. We used to ride around town in her Pontiac Sunfire rocking out to Funky Cold Medina, smelling like Victoria's Secret pear body lotion thinking we were totally the shit. We hatched up hair brained schemes for fun things to do on the weekends. We had a time where we grew apart because life took us in different directions. By some miracle of God, we found our way back to each other. Yes, I know that sounds cheesy, but it's true. She and I understand each other like we are thinking with the same brain. We can finish each others' sentences. But most importantly, she's always there for me. She puts up with me when I'm being obsessive over something that is ridiculous. She laughs with me (not at me)...ok, sometimes she does laugh at me but I laugh at her too. She appreciates that I have no rhythm and can't dance. I can appreciate that her sense of style is light years ahead of where I wish I could be. No matter what the case may be, we are always there for each other. She doesn't judge me - even when I tell her things like "I had 5 donuts today." She is my best friend - and you ladies know just how important having that one, true "best friend" is.






All in all, I have a great life. Sure, there are days where life is tough and I'm not sure if I can make it through the day without crying or biting someone's head off. But there are also days where everything is great - and it's those days that I cherish the most.
***The list above is (obviously) not all inclusive. I love you, Kristin, Beth, Jamie, Nick & Laura, and everyone that is a part of my life. Well, not everyone - but the ones I don't really love aren't reading this blog. Ha! :)

3 comments:

Kristin said...

It takes a special person to be a good listener and to be patient. I think those are two things that John and I really have in common. You failed to mention that you went to Taco Bell and Wal-Mart in the Super Cruiser! :P

april said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has a normal & average life that I LOVE!!!
Sweet post :)
I, too, would not judge you based on the 'I just had 5 donuts' comment, fyi - it's usually me stating that to someone else, haha!

april said...

Oh & Taco Bell RULES -
Dusty & I used to go there on Saturday nights before the MUD RACES :)
& we had our 'wedding night reception' at Frank Brannon's.
I tell you what - I am f.a.n.c.y - fancy....