Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The City Girl Goes Outdoors

I'm a self-proclaimed city girl. If you ask my husband or either of my boys, they'll say the same. I don't do bugs. I don't like dirt. I'm allergic to grass, trees, and pollen. You can see where I'm going with this, right? Me and the outdoors=not friends. My husband, on the other hand, is a good hearted country boy who loves to camp and fish. He grew up in a large family and that's what they did for fun - camping. When we got married, I attempted to enjoy camping but I was still set in my city girl ways. Once the boys were born, we went camping again but this time I was so stressed trying to keep Jake from breaking a bone and Luke from eating rocks (yes, he really tried to eat the rocks) that I didn't enjoy myself AT ALL. John has been very patient with me and my aversion to camping but now that the boys are older (and asking to go camping), John suggested that we give it another whirl. Ok. I can do this. It will be fun. I won't get stung by a bee. I'm 28 years old and I have NEVER been stung by a bee - and I don't intend on starting at this stage in my life. I'm almost 30 for God's sake....there are plenty of other things I need to accomplish and getting stung by a bee is definitely not one of them. Now where was I...oh yeah, so I put on my big girl panties and agreed that it was time to plan a camping trip. All I can say is that I'm so glad I gave it another try. We had an absolute blast! The weather was absolutely beautiful. Our campsite was right next to the playground so the boys had plenty of room to run and play. The crappie (that's a type of fish for you fellow city girls out there) were biting like crazy. Luke tried to eat a minnow....but that's another story. The boys were so worn out at the end of the day that they slept all night - and so did John and I. We are already planning for our next trip and I can't wait! :)

Jake reeling in the first catch of the day as the sun rises over the cove.


Jake showing off some of our catch.


Luke showing off one of the bigger crappie we caught.


Cheesin' on our second outing of the day.


You can't go camping without making S'Mores. I had to steal these two so I could get a quick picture before they got eaten!

1 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I want to be included in the camping trip next time...thank you.